Monday, April 2, 2012

Red Lentil Soup

We are back in Georgia and I am happy to be home and back in my kitchen. Our trip to colorado was for business purposes and was very busy. Of course, though,  we had to make time for one amazing hike up to the Royal Arch!


We ate out a lot which is hard because of my wheat and yeast allergies, but also it means some food that we are just not used to eating anymore. My tummy was happy to have food that fed my genes last night!

Since spring is officially here I am going to share one more kitchen heating soup recipe that I made a few weeks ago and it was delicious! Then on to lighter, less kitchen heating foods (those of you that live in a small apartment with poor insulation and a crummy exhaust fan know what I mean :) This recipe is quick and full of flavor. Oh yeah, and it is cheap! It uses red lentils and this is a place where I would not recommend substituting another color of lentil. Red lentils are more tender and give the soup a lighter, sweet note. I hope you enjoy and are enjoying this beautiful spring. There is nothing like a spring in the south; the azaleas alone keep me gazing for hours.


RED LENTIL SOUP
Serves: 4

1 onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp tomato paste
1 whole tomato, diced (you can sub a 14 oz can diced tomatoes)
5 cups broth (chicken or veggie)
1 1/2 cups red lentils

1. Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add 1 Tbs coconut oil. Add onions and carrots. Saute 5 minutes. Add garlic. Stir for 30 seconds. Add spices (salt through paprika) and stir 30 seconds.
2. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, broth and lentils. Gently stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. 


3. Using your immersion blender, puree soup. Serve warm!


No comments:

Post a Comment