Thursday, April 5, 2012

Spinach Salad with Avocado and Strawberries

Spring is here! I know I keep yakking about this, but I just love spring. I also love my husband and the pictures I am going to share with you are a perfect example of one reason why I do. I came back from walking Mocha, our chocolate lab, on Monday and immediately told Evan, "Quick, grab the camera. You have to see something." So he did and we headed out the door. When he realized we were going to have to drive there, he did not get frustrated (even though I interrupted him from doing something very important) but was just amused at my delight regarding my surprise. He humors me.

So, 10 minutes later in traffic to get less than 1 mile down the road, we see it. Spring!

Isn't is beautiful!

And although Evan was not as childlike  mesmerized as I was by the flowers, He happily took lots of pictures as I told him all the different ways we could use them as art one day! Oh how I love that man

Moving on to food. I also have a spring recipe for you today. As the temperature increases I crave even more cold salads and this is a great one. It has vitamin packed spinach, healthy fat avocados and yummy fresh strawberries full of fiber and vitamins. The strawberries I used are from my mother in law which she got from a local farmer back home. Thanks Dorenda! The cheese in the recipe is by Organic Valley. The cheese is a raw mild cheddar that is allowed to age naturally and is not pasteurized. You could find it at your local whole foods or earth fare probably.




SPINACH SALAD WITH AVOCADO AND STRAWBERRIES
Serves: 2 
Recipe could easily be doubled or tripled for a family

4 cups spinach
1/2 avocado, sliced
1 cup strawberries, chopped
1/4 cup or about 1-2 ounces diced Organic Valley raw mild cheddar cheese

1. Divide spinach equally among two plates. Top each with half the avocado, strawberries and cheese. 
2. This recipe was so tasty, we ate it without any dressing but you could easily top it with a home made vinaigrette. 

No comments:

Post a Comment