Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pumpkin Roasted Nuts

Oh my goodness these nuts are sooo good! The original recipe was for a granola and I thought it would be healthier and sounded better with nuts. And I am so happy I did! They are crunchy, salty and sweet with heart healthy omega 3 fats. They are perfect as a snack and would be great to take to a holiday party or as a gift! I buy my raw, unsalted nuts from Harry's Farmers Market, aka Whole Foods, and Sam's club. The lighting in my apartment did not allow me to get the best picture, but trust me, you have to make these!


PUMPKIN ROASTED NUTS
Serves: lets just say me, my husband and my in laws ate on these for a weekend
Adapted from www.twopeasandtheirpod.com

5 cups raw, unsalted nuts (I used 2 c. walnuts, 2 c. pecans and 1 c. almonds)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup organic, unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup dried cranberries

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients EXCEPT nuts and cranberries.
3. Add nuts. Toss to coat nuts.
4. Place nuts on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. (The next time I make these I am going to cook them right on the baking sheet if you want to try that)
5. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and toss nuts. Return to oven and bake 20 more minutes.
6. Remove cooked nuts from oven and toss in cranberries. Allow nuts to cool before eating them or putting them in a storage container. They should stay fresh for a few days in a closed container at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment