Friday, December 9, 2011
Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
QUINOA STUFFED ACORN SQUASH- YUMMY!!
2 large acorn squash, cut in half and seeds removed
1 cup quinoa
1 large onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
3 celery stalks, diced
1 Tbs miced garlic
9 mushrooms, small diced
3 tomatoes, diced
4 stems of a green like kale, leaves removed from stems and torn into pieces
1 can no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
freshly ground black pepper
dash of sea salt
small amount of shredded cheese, optional
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place squash halves cut side down in 9x13 pans. Pour water in pan so that it covers the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes.
2. While squash is cooking, cook quinoa according to package directions- usually 2 cups water per 1 cup quinoa, place in a saucepan, bring to boil, reduce heat, add cover and simmer 15 minutes. Set aside
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 Tbs coconut oil. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook 5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add mushrooms and tomatoes; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale and saute until wilted, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat. Toss in black beans, quinoa, pepper and salt. Stir.
4. Once squash are done cooking, remove from pan and empty an left over water from pan.
5. Place squash cut side up back into pans. Fill with quinoa stuffing mixture. Top with a little shredded cheese if you want.
6. Bake for 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted. Eat!!!