Saturday, December 3, 2011

Cheese Squash Soup


Behold the Cheese Squash. No it does not taste at all like cheese. It is named because it looks like a round of cheese. It is a large squash that tastes a lot like butternut squash. I have to thank my mother in law for this wonderful beauty. She got four in her CSA pick up and was happy to share, as always. I instantly knew I would turn it into soup. Peeling and deseeded it was a little time consuming, but completely worth it!

There are a few things I think are essential in a cooks kitchen; a good food processor, kitchen aid stand mixer and crock pot to name a few. I have now added an immersion blender to my list. I recently bought one at my local bed, bath and beyond. With my $5 coupon, it was only $25. I used it for the first time with this soup and cannot wait to use it more! The blender allows you to puree your soup right in the pot while the soup is still hot. Awesome! If you do not have an immersion blender, allow soup to cool and then puree it in batches in your blender or food processor. Add to a pot and reheat prior to serving.

CHEESE SQUASH SOUP
Serves: 4
56 oz (7 cups) homemade chicken stock
1 large cheese squash
1 medium pie pumpkin
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp cumin powder
dash of red pepper
1/2 tsp tumeric power
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 cup coconut milk (not light)

1. Peel squash and pumpkin. Scoop out seeds and discard (or save to toast and eat!) Dice remaining flesh.
2. Bring stock and squash to boil in a large soup pot. Boil 30 minutes.
3. Remove pot from heat. Puree using an immersion blender. Add spices and milk. Stir and serve!
2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment