Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Paleo Shepherds Pie


Alright women, this recipe is for you to make if you want to make your man really happy. This is a man's man meal... meat and "potatoes" style. Heather, I instantly thought of Josh when I read the recipe. To give you an idea of how much they will love it I have a story to tell you. I found this recipe at www.elanaspantry.com and made it last monday. Evan raved about it instantly and ate the entire 9x13 pan within 3 days. Fast forward a few days; we were sitting around reading and sewing on sunday afternoon (2 days ago) when Evan blurts out of nowhere, "I want shepherds pie!" I started laughing. So today I am in the kitchen making it again only one week since the first time and Evan could not be happier, which I love! Ladies, do not get me wrong, you will love this dish too. It is hearty and flavorful. The topping is cauliflower instead of the traditional potatoes, and no one in your house will ever be able to tell! Extra veggies is always a plus!  It takes a while to make and is a little expensive due to all the meat, but that makes it a wonderful treat to have occasionally. I recommend you make sure to read through the recipe prior to making. It will make it easier. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did.

PALEO SHEPHERDS PIE
adapted from www.elanaspantry.com
Serves: 6-8

2 Tbs olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1/2 lb grassfed sweet italian beef sausage
2 cups diced carrots, approx 6-7 carrots
2 cups diced celery, approx 3 large stalks
1 lb grass fed ground sirloin
1/2 lb ground turkey
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup broth  (I used beef since I had it on hand)
2 large heads cauliflower
1 Tbs olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 
1. Chop cauliflower into pieces and steam in a steamer until very soft. Set aside
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbs olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook until brown. 
3. Add carrots and celery and cook 10 minutes.
4. Add beef and turkey, crumble and cook a few minutes until brown- they do not have to be completely cooked through.
5. Add seasonings. Stir. Add broth and cook until 60% of broth is cooked out. 
6. While the broth is cooking out, Place steamed cauliflower and 1 Tbs olive oil in a food processor and blend until smooth. 
7. Put beef mixture in a glass 9x13 pan. Top with pureed cauliflower. If desired (this will make it non paleo), top with a little shredded raw organic mild cheddar cheese. 
8. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment