Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Indian Spiced Lentils and Lamb

Last night I made Indian Spiced Lentils and Lamb from the October 2011 issue of Cooking Light magazine. I really enjoyed it. Evan did not like it as much because of the curry powder and lamb. I will probably make it again but possibly use a ground sirloin instead. This would be a great option, too, if lamb is not available where you live. I got our ground lamb at my local Whole Foods Market. I did change the recipe just a little because I used what I had on hand for some of the ingredients. I will put my changed version below but please refer to the Cooking Light website for the original if desired!


INDIAN SPICED LENTILS AND LAMB
Serves: 4 1 cup servings
1 tsp olive oil
6 ounces lean ground lamb (this is where you could use ground sirloin if desired, but it will change the authenticity of the dish)
1 tsp curry powder (mine happen to be a yellow/orange powder, but you could use what you have on hand- red, yellow or green)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
1 1/4 cups diced onion
3/4 cup diced carrot
1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
5 tsp minced garlic
1 Tbs tomato paste
3/4 cup lentils (the recipe called for brown lentils but I put all my lentils in one big storage container, so mine contained both brown and red lentils)
2 cups fat free, organic, low sodium vegetable broth
1 cup water
1 cup coconut milk
14 oz can diced tomatoes, drained
cilantro

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil. Add lamb, curry powder, cumin, salt and red pepper; saute 4 minutes, stirring to crumble lamb. Add onion, carrot and jalapeno; saute 4 minutes. Add garlic; saute 1 minute, stirring. Stir in tomato paste; saute 30 seconds. Add lentils; saute 30 seconds.
Stir in broth, water, coconut milk and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 20 minutes until lentils are tender. Serve in bowls topped with chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment