Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Crockpot strikes again!... Brunswick Stew


I do not know about you, but I get so excited when my monthly Southern Living comes in the mail! I am a Southerner at heart and love to read about the area, the decorating and the food. I do not usually make many of the recipes just because they are not normally my style of cooking. But this month (October 2011) had a few recipes that sounded healthy and yummy. This brunswick stew is one of them. I adapted it to work for me and I will include what I did below. It was absolutely delicious!!! Thanks Southern Living!

CHICKEN BRUNSWICK STEW
Serves: 6 (serving size: 2 cups)

1 1/2 large onions, diced
1 Tbs minced garlic
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into large cubes/pieces
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
12 oz bottle chili sauce (found in the ketchup aisle)
12 oz package frozen corn
10 oz package frozen cream-style corn, thawed (I could only find a 20oz frozen roll that i had to half)
9 oz package frozen baby lima beans
1 Tbs light brown sugar
1 Tbs yellow mustard
1 Tbs worcestershire sauce
freshly ground black pepper- at least 1 tsp

Place all ingredients in a crock pot. Cook 10 hours on low heat. Once done cooking, I used a large fork to shred some of the chicken. Serve! This is even better left over than fresh. The stew also freezes well in plastic or glass containers. Just thaw frozen soup in the refrigerator the night before you want to eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment