These bars are so yummy! I came up with the recipe on Saturday and have already made three batches! True Paleo people will argue they are not Paleo because they have sugar in the chocolate chips and honey, but I would argue they are a great alternative and full of items with great fat and fiber like raw nuts and coconut! So, I will be making them again and I hope you will too!
This recipe is based on the Oatmeal bar recipe I posted a few months ago. Since then we have stopped eating all grains so I just tweaked it a little so they are grain free.
We have friends coming into town next week and I plan to make these as a snack to take on our day of snow tubing and sledding. They are so easily portable. I am not sure I will snow tube since I will be 23 weeks pregnant. We will see if people are staying on the tubes or falling off a lot :) If I do not tube I will have something delicious to do- eat these bars!
NUTTY CHOCOLATE CHIP BARS
Serves: 8-9 depending on if you cut the bars long or into squares
1 1/2 cups raw nuts (I used 1 cup almonds and 1/2 cup walnuts)
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tbs flax seed meal
4 Tbs raw honey
2 heaping Tbs almond butter
1/4 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
1/8 cup white chocolate chips (I used the dairy free brand Sunset)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Pulse nuts in food processor until they are in fine pieces. Pour into a large bowl.
3. Add to the bowl the coconut, flax meal, honey, almond butter and chocolate chips. Combine with a spatula and then with your hands if needed.
4. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper. Pour in nut mixture; spread and flatten with your hands.
5. Bake at 350 for 22 minutes. Cut into 8 bars or 9 squares. Allow bars to cool before eating.