I remember the breakfast casserole I grew up on. I'm not going to lie- it tasted amazing. It started with taking white bread and covering both sides with butter. The dish only got more unhealthy from there- jimmy dean sausage, eggs, tons of cheese. Then you let it sit overnight and baked it the next morning. We only had it on special occasions like Christmas morning and I looked forward to it as much as my stocking.
This is my version of breakfast casserole. It still has delicious sausage but is loaded with veggies. I used organic hashbrown potatoes to make it a treat but you could easily leave them out or substitute shredded sweet potato. This casserole saved us last week with the many late nights in the office and fed two people 4 times. I hope you will try it for your next busy week breakfast, family dinner or for a special occasion!
1 lb pork sausage or ground pork that you have seasoned to your taste
1 large onion, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 large head broccoli, florets chopped and stem tossed or included (whichever you like)
1 cup shredded carrots
2 cups chopped spinach
1 bag frozen organic hashbrown potatoes (I used Organic Valley- the only ingredient listed is potatoes) (optional)
12 large eggs
1 cup shredded raw cheddar cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook through, using a spatula to crumble meat as it cooks. Remove sausage to an extra large bowl.
2. Add 1 Tbs coconut oil to pan (if there is not enough grease from the sausage to cook the vegetables). Add onion, pepper and broccoli. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add carrots. Cook 2 minutes. Add spinach, stir and cook 1 minute. Remove vegetables from heat and add to the same bowl as the sausage.
3. Add eggs to a large bowl. Whisk. Add eggs to the sausage mixture. Add hashbrowns. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp ground black pepper. Stir.
4. Grease a 9x13 pan with coconut oil. Pour egg mixture into pan. Top with cheese.
5. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes until cooked through. Enjoy for any meal of the day!