Saturday, June 30, 2012

Grilled Salmon with Mango Kiwi Salsa







I go through food obsessions and, right now, I am obsessed with mangos. Not the red mangos but champagne mangos. They are the smaller variety that are yellow when ripe and they are much sweeter to me. I have been eating at least one a day and they have been inspiring many a recipe, including this one. 

My second current obsession is our new grill. We now live in a house with a back deck where we have a perfect new grill that my in-laws bought for us. We have grilled almost every night since. Oh how I missed a grill after living in an apartment for four years. 

This fish was amazing. Tender, flaky, and buttery tasting while the salsa was sweet with a great tang from red onion and lime juice. This recipe makes extra salsa because my hubby loves it. We ate the whole bowl! This is a must make before the summer is over and I begin mourning the loss of fresh mangos. 

GRILLED SALMON WITH MANGO KIWI SALSA
Serves: 3

4 champagne mangos, cubed
2 kiwi, diced
1/8 - 1/4 cup minced red onion (depending on your taste)
3 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro
1 small lime, juiced
1 lb wild sockeye salmon filets
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt

1. In a medium bowl, combine mangos, kiwi, red onion, cilantro and lime juice. Gently toss. Place in refrigerator until salmon is cooked. 
2. Heat a grill over medium low until hot (it takes my gas grill about 5 minutes). Sprinkle salmon fillets with pepper and salt. Drizzled both sides with olive oil so the fish will not stick to the grill.
3. Place salmon flesh side down onto grill. Cook 4 minutes. Turn. Cook 4 minutes or until desired doneness (ours fillets were cooked through in 8 minutes total).
4. Serve salmon with mango kiwi salsa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment