My husband and I eat "healthy" compared to most of the united states and I am always looking for ways to get a few extra calories into Evan. We eat fresh fruit, vegetables and raw nuts for snacks, so these date bars are a nice change up. Also, since the dates are so naturally sweet, they taste like a great treat when you "need a little something."
This version of the recipe I added coconut and chocolate, but you could easily play around with it and add chopped nuts, vanilla, dried fruit, or fresh fruit juice. The possibilities are endless!! So get in your kitchen, have some fun and then enjoy the fruits of your labor!
RAW DATE BARS
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cool time: 3 hours
1 lb pitted dates
1 cup raw almonds
½ cup raw cashews
1/3 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
4 tsp carob or cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1. Place the dates and nuts in the bowl of a food processor.
2. Process on medium speed for 2 1/2 minutes or until mixture becomes smooth and sticky and begins to form into a clump.
3. Add coconut and carob powder and process until combined, approximately 30 seconds.
4. Line an 8x8 pan with parchment or wax paper. Place date mixture in pan. Press mixture down into pan.
5. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2-3 hours.
6. Remove. Cut into 8 squares and wrap squares in plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator.