Monday, January 16, 2012

Chicken Apple Sausage Soup with Cabbage


I hear stories all the time about horrible mother in laws. The kind that are overbearing, judgmental, pushy, and unwelcoming. You know the kind? I do not and I am so grateful!!! I have the best mother in law in the world. I usually just call her my second mom. From the time my husband and I met she has loved me like her daughter and has only made my life better. Thank Dorenda! I love you too.
   She is also probably my biggest fan on this blog. She cooks a lot of the recipes. We go home to visit our wonderful families often, and every time she sends me home with some kind of food. At the Christmas visit it was local cabbage. So, of course, I made cabbage soup! This soup, although not photographed well, is delicious. It has complex flavors, good protein and is chock full of fresh vegetables. I hope you will try it and let me know what you think.... hurry, before it starts to get warm outside again!

CHICKEN APPLE SAUSAGE SOUP WITH CABBAGE
Serves: 4-6

1 chicken breast, skin on and bone in
1 Tbs olive oil
8 oz chicken apple sausage, remove from casings (if you cannot find fresh sausage, you could use precooked and just slice it)
1 large onion, diced
1 large carrot, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
3 Tbs minced garlic
4 medium size Yukon gold potatoes, small diced
6 cups low sodium organic chicken stock
1 tsp pepper
½ tsp sea salt
½ large head of cabbage, sliced
1 small or ½ large granny smith apple 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place chicken breast on a baking sheet. Rub 1 tsp olive oil over chicken. Sprinkle with lots of freshly cracked black pepper and a little sea salt. Cook for 30 minutes. Set aside.

While chicken is cooking, heat 1 Tbs olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking into pieces as you cook. Once the outside of the sausage is browned, add carrots, celery, onions. Stir. Cook 5 minutes. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Stir. Cook one minute.
Add stock and potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Add cabbage and apple. Stir. Cover and Cook 10 minutes.
Remove cover. Remove from heat.
Remove skin from chicken, shred meat and add to soup.
Serve!!

No comments:

Post a Comment