Sunday, October 28, 2012

Slow Cooked AppleSauce



Above is a sneak peak of the recipe I am sharing with you today! I have been hinting for two weeks at the delicious apple recipe to come and tada.... It is applesauce. I know what you are thinking, that is baby food and I have had jarred applesauce and it is not that great. But hang in there because this is the most delicious thing I have tasted in a while, and I cook good food every night of the week.

First I want to show you the beautiful winter wonderland we had last week. It snowed Wednesday and Thursday nights. It was our first true snow since living in Colorado and it was gorgeous. As we rode to work Thursday morning I said to Evan, "I hope I always find the snow this magical." It was a mesmerizing site. The craziest part is that as I went shopping with my friend on Friday I reached out to touch some of the leftover snow on a bush. I realized that was the first time I had actually touched it! Praise God for busy days of serving. Here are a few pictures.

Sunrise after crossfit. My husband Evan out in the street with our neighbors house in the picture. He was trying to get a picture of the beautiful aspen for me. 

Aspens

Guess we will hang out on our back porch another day!

There is one more thing I want to chat about that has been on my mind. As you know, this blog is all about giving your body the foods it requires and was designed to eat. We originally came across this knowledge from Dr. James Chestnut, DC and his research on humans, genes and the wellness lifestyle (eat well, move well, think well). We immediately began to change our diet by adding even more good, whole food to the point that we now eat a "hunter gatherer diet" better known now as the paleo diet. I have been hesitant to label our diet because we do not consider it a specific diet at all, rather we eat the way we know is best for our bodies. But I do feel it would be wise for me to begin to give some guidance to my readers in addition to recipes. So, in the future you can expect more application on eating well and reference to the Paleo diet.  This recipe is a perfect example! 

Fall is apple season and slow cooking is the best way to cook. These apples are delicious and are perfect eaten still in large wedges (although they wonderfully fall apart when you touch them with your fork) or you can mash them into applesauce. These are so good I actually plan to serve them as a Paleo dessert at thanksgiving this year with coconut milk ice cream! I hope you will let me know what you think.

Also, remember you can sign up to follow this blog and receive emails of the posts!



SLOW COOKED APPLESAUCE
Serves: this makes a lot of applesauce (at least 8 cups) but my husband and I still finished the first batch in three days!

30 small apples or 20 large apples
2 Tbs cinnamon (or more to taste)
1/4 cup apple cider (make sure it is natural, unfiltered and no sugar added)

1. Peel apples and cut the sides off of the core. Place apple pieces in crock pot. 
2. Add cinnamon and apple cider. Stir.


3. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. 
4. Eat as is or mash into applesauce with a fork or potato masher. 


No comments:

Post a Comment