Monday, November 26, 2012

Hearty Chicken White Bean Soup



Hello blog friends! I hope all of you had a healthy, happy thanksgiving. Our week was full of time with family, including a surprise visit from Evan's brother. It was a wonderful time of fellowship that we greatly needed. Our thanksgiving day went as planned: a morning hike in the beautiful Colorado outdoors and an evening paleo dinner that did not disappoint.

We topped our weekend off with getting our christmas tree with friends last night. I love my tree! It is perfectly round and smells of christmas. My sweet husband put it up and hung the lights on it all by himself while I chatted with my sisters. I then hung the ornaments on the tree. This is my favorite part. As I hang each one I think of the story or memory behind it. What joy! Christmas will be here before we know it.

Today's recipe is a great meal to have around to avoid grabbing just anything for lunch or dinner in the midst of this crazy, busy season.

I know what some strict paleo people are going to say... beans are not paleo. But, white beans are an excellent source of folate, fiber and a decent source of protein. For this reason, they occasionally make it onto our dinner menu. If you are going to eat beans, this soup is a delicious way to do it! Also, as the title says, this soup is seriously hearty and filling with great flavor.

HEARTY CHICKEN AND WHITE BEAN SOUP
Serves: 4-6

1 Tbs coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups celery, chopped
2 cups carrots, sliced into rounds
1 bell pepper, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 (14oz) cans great northern beans, drained and rinsed
1 large cooked chicken breast, diced
4 cups broth of any kind (i used vegetable)
1 bay leaf
1 Tbs ground thyme
2 tsp pepper
1 Tbs dried rosemary

1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery and pepper. Cook and stir until tender. Stir in carrots, garlic and spices. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in beans, broth, chicken. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 1 hour or until carrots are tender.
2. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment