Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Sweet Potato Bacon Biscuits



I have a new blog that I am obsessed with! These biscuits are adapted from the website PaleOMG. The author is Juli Bauer. Apparently I am a little late to the party, because she is big in the Paleo world. And I know why. Her recipes are creative and delicious. These biscuits are the first thing I have tried, but it all looks so good!

These biscuits are insanely good. I made them with scrambled eggs and fresh berries for a hearty breakfast before we headed out to hike in the snow. The recipe made six biscuits and we ate all of them :) I did top mine with a little grass fed organic butter (not paleo) but I am sure they are just as good without. I encourage you to make these ASAP!


 
SWEET POTATO BACON BISCUITS
Makes: 6 biscuits
 
4 strips uncured bacon, diced
2 eggs, whisked
leftover rendered fat from bacon or 2 Tbs melted grassfed organic butter
2 Tbs coconut flour
2/3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
 
1. Place diced bacon in a cast iron skillet heated over medium heat. Cook until crispy, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Remove cooked bacon to a paper towel covered plate. Save rendered fat.
2. Meanwhile, remove the skin from the cooked sweet potato and scoop out potato into a large bowl. Mash potato with a fork.
3. Add eggs to sweet potato. Stir. Add rendered fat. Stir.
4. Add your dry ingredients: flour, baking powder and spices. Stir. Add cooked bacon. Stir to combine.
5. Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat or parchment paper. Using a spoon, drop biscuits onto sheet, making sure they are equal in size for equal cooking.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes. Serve topped with melted grass fed organic butter brushed on top if you like!


No comments:

Post a Comment